Doctor of Philosophy
Aquatic Animal Health Program and Small Animal Clinical Sciences
University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, Gainesville, FL (2011-2016)
Research topic: Investigating the role nutrition plays in ammonium urate kidney stone development in managed bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus
Small Animal Rotating Veterinary Internship (Nutrition)
North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh, NC (2009-2010)
Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine
North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh, NC (2005-2009)
Bachelor of Science, Veterinary Medical Technology; Chemistry minor
Wilson College, Chambersburg, PA (1998-2002)
Business Owner, Nutrition Consultant
Ardente Veterinary Nutrition LLC, Gainesville, FL (August 2017-present)
- Research and Training Consultant, Animal Necessity LLC (New York, NY)
- Nutrition Consultant, zoo/aquarium facilities: CuriOdyssey at Coyote Point (San Mateo, CA); Turtle Back Zoo (West Orange, NJ); Brookfield Zoo (Brookfield, IL); Dolphin Island, Resorts World Sentosa (Singapore)
- Nutrition Consultant, companion animal clients
National Marine Mammal Foundation, San Diego, CA (August 2017-present)
Post-doctoral Associate, Animal Nutrition Center
Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Orlando, FL, in conjunction with University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (February 2016-September 2017)
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant
University of Florida Aquatic Animal Health Program, Gainesville, FL (August 2011-February 2016)
Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida, Leesburg, FL (September 2011-August 2017)
Jacksonville Community Pet Mobile Clinic, Jacksonville, FL (September 2012-January 2016)
Banfield Pet Hospital #303, Gainesville, FL (September 2011-Septemer 2012)
Valley Cottage Animal Hospital, Valley Cottage, NY (July 2010-June 2011)
Small Animal Rotating Veterinary Intern (Nutrition)
NCSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Raleigh, NC (June 2009-June 2010)
- Ardente AJ, Garrett TJ, Colee J, Vagt BJ, Walsh MT, Wells RS, Smith CR, Jensen ED, Schmitt TL, Hill RC. 2017. Differences in purine metabolite concentrations in the diet in managed and free-ranging common bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Aquatic Mammals. 43 (6). doi: 10.1578/AM.43.6.2017.xxx.
- Ardente AJ, Wells RS, Smith CR, Walsh MT, Jensen ED, Schmitt TL, Colee J, Vagt BJ, and Hill RC. 2016. Dietary cation-anion difference may explain why ammonium urate nephrolithiasis occurs more frequently in common bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) under human care than in free-ranging common bottlenose dolphins. Journal of Animal Science. 95: 1396-1406. doi: 10.2527/jas2016.1113.
- Ardente AJ, Garrett TJ, Wells RS, Walsh MT, Smith CR, Colee J, and Hill RC. 2016. A targeted metabolomics assay to measure eight purines in the diet of common bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Journal of Chromatography Separation Techniques. 7:5. doi: 10.4172/2157-7064.1000334
- Ardente AJ, Hill RC. The nutrient composition of the diet of bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus, is better assessed relative to metabolizable energy than dry matter. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 2015; 46(2): 198-204.
- Ardente AJ. Investigating relationships between dolphin diets and kidney stones. Nicks n’ Notches, Annual Summary of the Activities and Findings of the Chicago Zoological Society’s Sarasota Research Program. November 2014; 14.
- Slifka KA, Wells RS, Ardente AJ, Crissey S (deceased, November 23, 2002). Comparative diet analysis of fish species commonly consumed by managed and free-ranging bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). The Internet Journal of Veterinary Medicine. 2013; 10(1).
- Ardente AJ, Christian LS, Borst LB, Lewbart GA. Mistaken identity of a squamous cell carcinoma in captive red-eared slider turtle (Trachemys scripta elegans). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 2011; 42(4):770-773.
- Ardente AJ, Chinnadurai S, De Voe R, et al. Relationship between gastrointestinal transit time and anesthetic fasting protocols in the captive chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes. Journal of Medical Primatology. April 2011; 40(3): 181-187.
- Ardente AJ, Barlow BM, Burns P, et al. In-vitro pharmacokinetic study involving the transdermal absorption of sevoflurane in the bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. May 2008; 25:373-379.